Thursday, February 8, 2007

Dalek


Dalek

Here's a photo of my (unfinished) Dalek. I did the pattern myself, which was tougher than you could imagine. This was a prototype model to see how it would work out, so rather than rip out a thousand stitches and start over, I just added notes for what to do next time. I will edit this entry later with stitch details, but for now just wanted to provide photographic evidence of its awesomeness. Who wouldn't want a cuddly toy that wishes to exterminate you? Honestly now.

DETAILS:

I used Bernat Satin in color 04317 "Stardust", no dye lot (woohoo!). They come in 100g balls, worsted weight. This stuff is machine washable/dryable, which is part of why I chose to use it for this project. I knit this with a pair of 4 mm (US size 6) circular needles.

Cast on 80 st.

Place marker at end of row. Join yarn, being careful not to twist the circle and cause the moebus effect.
k 5 rows.
*Row 6: MB every 5 stitches (inc. 4 k in the bobble)
*k 4 rows. on 5th row, dec every 6th st.
*k two rows.
*on next row, mb every 4 st. (last bobble may be only 3 st between)
repeat starred process three more times.

k 4 rows, p 4 rows.
k 3 rows, p 4 rows.
*beginning of next round, k 5 sts, p 4 sts until you have 10 cols, then k3 p4 until end.
repeat * for 3 more rows.
p 4 rows.
k 5 sts, p 4 sts until you have 10 cols, then k3 p4 until end.
p 4 rows. k next 5 rows, dec every 5 or 6 st.

p 2 rows. k 3, p 2 for next 3 rows.
p 2 rows, dec sts every 5 or 6 st.
k 3, p 2 for next 3 rows.
p 2 rows
k the rest, dec every 5th st until end. bind off.

That's all I have for now, and it will require some modification next time round. I haven't knit the bottom up yet, so all you'll have is a hat of sorts. More details to come.

No comments: